Sunday, May 20, 2012

Dresses of White


In June Cora will be blessed
and
In July Jetta will have her 8th birthday
and be baptized.

Two special occasions deserve two special dresses!

 

So I got all my supplies together and began.


The absolute, without question, worst part of sewing
is cutting it out.  Once you get past that
the "Fun" starts!

 

The first of Many Hours at both the
sewing machine and the serger...look, I'm still smiling!

Above I'm working on a ruffle that actually got
ripped off and never used...hmmm...
does that give you an idea of how one of the dresses went?

Since Cora was too young to tell me what kind of
dress she wanted
Trudi & I went shopping and decided for her...
didn't we do a nice job?


Cora's dress went together beautifully.
first time, first try, done in 2 days.


The detail is always hard to see in pictures, but
here you can see a little bit of the 
ribbon, lace, & buttons, with bows and 
small pearl rosettes at the waistline.

Jetta's dress on the other hand did not go together on the
first try...or the second....partially on the third 
and finally all together on the fourth try
and second fitting.

Jetta told me she wanted her dress to be
long and silky with sparkles.
(She is a fancy frilly kind of girl for sure)

So right from the start, picking out material to 
everything else along the way, this dress was
trouble with a capital T.


I'm not sure you want to hear the whole story,
but I ended up having to take the dress almost
completely apart three times.  
The end result being entirely different
than the beginning design.

I enlisted the help of my Heavenly Father and
as I lay awake remaking the dress in my mind the
solutions came to me one by one until
the dress was finally finished.

From long waisted to high waisted, from small sash
to wide ribbon sash, from two layers to one,
from lower ruffle to no ruffle and 
plain neckline to pearl trimmed sweetheart neckline,
I ended up spending many sleepless nights trying to figure out how to
fix the ugliest dress I had ever made.


But as you can see, after all the "stepping back",
"hair pulling", "sleepless nights" and "what am I going to do now"
moments - Jetta is in love with her dress
and can't wait for August when she will 
finally get to wear it.
(I am keeping it at my house until her birthday)


The ribbon is trimmed with a satin rosette and small flowers
with rhinestone centers.  The sleeves are gathered up
the middle with a rhinestone flower at the top of the gathers.
A string of pearls outline the neckline and the other
satin rosette is a clip for her hair.


These two dresses were  definitely made with
lots of love...otherwise at least one of them would be
in the trash!
Both the dresses turned out beautiful and will
be just perfect for each of my little
granddaughters.
p.s.
Thank you mom for teaching me how to sew
and not to give up when things don't go as 
smoothly as you'd like them too.
Love You!

1 comment: