On Wednesday, August 14th we drove to
Salt Lake for my first ear surgery.
Both Steve & I were a bundle of mixed emotions.
Excited to have found a doctor that
actually knew what was wrong
and said he could fix it and
at the same time nervous about the possible
side effects & risks.
After 45 +/- years of experiencing episodes
of pounding/thumping in my ears,
and no one being able to figure out what was
causing it to happen we were on our way
to have the problem surgically cured.
The diagnosis....
Bilateral Stapedial/Tensor Tympani Myoclonus
Treatment....
Tenotomy of both the
Stapedeus and Tensor Tympani muscles
(they will cut the muscles)
6:00 a.m Thursday morning we arrived at
the University of Utah Hospital
After checking in we were escorted to a
pre-op room where I was given a lovely
cotton, wrap-around gown to wear
(notice it is properly labeled "Central Laundry")
so as not to get lost !?!
Soon after, my Doctor-Richard Gurgel, came
in to talk to both Steve & I
reviewing what he would be doing and the
possible side effects and risks.
At the same time telling us with confidence that
he anticipated the surgery would go well.
After he left the nurse came and put in
an IV then marked my Left ear with a
big black X....
After an hour and fifteen minutes in Surgery
and an hour in post-op
I was taken to recovery where Steve was
able to be with me again.
I remember being able to hear everything that
was going on around me but every time
I opened my eyes the room was spinning and
I would get sick to my stomach so
I decided it was better to just not open my eyes.
After a couple of hours of that they
gave me some kind of medication and soon
the room stopped spinning and I
was able to open my eyes and even get up
to use the restroom.
Dr. Gurgel said the surgery went perfectly
with no complications.
3 1/2 hours after being taken to recovery
I was able to get dressed and then
be wheeled out to the car.
This is all the visual evidence that remained
after the surgery...however,
because of the incision that was made below the
ear drum to create a flap so the doctor could
get to the muscles in the middle ear,
there is packing behind the eardrum and
in the ear canal to hold the ear drum in place
during the healing process.
We spent Thursday & Friday with
Kevin & his family and we appreciate being
able to stay with them and Lani's parents who always
make us feel so welcome.
Having a home to recuperate in for a few days
made the experience so much nicer.
I was given two prescriptions....
one for pain and
one for nausea
But I have not had any pain, nausea or dizziness
since leaving the hospital and
have not had to use either prescription.
I am not allowed to get water in my ear so
when I shower Steve makes an ear
plug out of a Vaseline saturated cotton ball.
It is kind of messy, but it works well.
Twice a day Dr. Steve puts Antibiotic ear drops
in my ear....
then puts a new dressing in place...
(a cotton ball secured with a band-aid)
very high tech!
and I am ready to go again.
We will be going to Texas to take care of Trudi's
two girls on the 27th and on the way
we will stop in SLC for
my follow-up appointment.
If all goes well with this ear I will have surgery
on my right ear on the 26th of September.
As of this time I have had several episodes but
they have all been in the right ear only.....
this is good!
No comments:
Post a Comment